Tag Archives: harness

Harness Alignment

The only original roller cord on this loom…

DSC00075

The entire cord setup on this loom was wrong. I have no idea how the loom would have even functioned in this state. The upper cords were not wrapped on the upper roller at all, but simply set across the upper roller. The single wrap is meant for both stability and gripping power.  And the lower roller cords were polyester, a material that does not grip as well as cotton…obviously the original cords had been replaced and were not attractive at all…

DSC00055

The centre of the heddle eyes need to be aligned with a line drawn from the top of the breast beam to the top of the back beam.

DSC00014

These eyes were too low (the dark bar just below the string extending to the left)…

DSC00056

This was  adjusted once I cut new cords…

DSC00057

Here are the correct, braided cotton new cords installed as they should be.  Instead of metal clips or wire I conceded to the modern use of zip ties as fasteners…

DSC00058

Advertisements

Restoring Harnesses

Restoring three harnesses required twelve hours of work today; I was in no rush. The easy part was unhooking them from the rollers. The roller ropes were not original and need to be replaced.  All parts of the harness needed to be reworked…wood, screws, brackets, heddle bars, heddles…

DSC00087

Steel-wooling the frames allowed for application of aluminum paint…

DSC00090

Polishing hardware on a buffing wheel restored its lustre…

DSC00092

Each harness holds contained between 324 and 347 heddles.  I removed them from the heddle bars and steel wooled the bars and replaced the heddles all with the same orientation (the ends are different).  After refinishing the wood I reassembled the frames….

DSC00098

Grouping heddles in 10’s I was able to divide them into exactly half, placing each half on their own respective side of the centre heddle bar supports…

DSC00093

I have one more harness to finish tomorrow, then the rollers, and finally the reassembly of the loom and several more coats of boiled linseed oil.

This is tedious and methodical work, and I extremely enjoying doing it.  Not only is the restoration starting to look nice, I am also finding it a great way to fully understand the mechanics of the loom itself…