Tag Archives: Jano loom

Leclerc Reed

A new Leclerc reed arrived yesterday.  I was told with this Jano renovation and the lack of 20.5″ availability, that I could cut down longer reeds to fit.  It seemed such a waste to order a shorter, 15″ reed, that would waste the potential width of weaving of which a Jano is capable.  Ordering a longer reed, and planning to cut it down, I mentioned that it was for a Jano, and Leclerc replied that they could make one of the proper length for the Jano. They did a great job.  I will load a warping board and then the loom today in anticipation of using it for another scarf…




Jano Modifications

A large share of my intent in the restoration of this loom is that I wanted to keep it in its early form.  However, restoration with its original hardware was impossible due to its degraded state.  With the replacement of hardware my intent then became to keep it in good, original working order.  There were a few modifications that I therefore made to make it function a bit better than it originally did.

First of all shimming the beater is essential to smooth operation, disallowing it to rub on the horizontal support metal sides.



Looking at the inside of the loom harness uprights it is apparent the the harnesses rub greatly during their cycling at the following points…





This both damages the loom and creates more resistance than needed in working the harness levers.

I cut pieces of a very slippery plastic and fastened these in place to both protect the frame and the harnesses and to allow for easier operation of the levers…



Jano Beater Fabrication

Here’s a quick setup for routing the reed-retaining grooves on the Jano beater.  Rather than going through  the trouble of mounting my router in its table for this simple and one-time operation I screwed the sliding spacer to a 2×2 and clamped this in a Workmate table.  It produced a perfect groove of proper depth…


Here’s the finished beater for the Jano, which I had to fabricate.  Now it awaits the arrival of a 12 dent reed, 4 1/2″ high x 20 1/2″ long…




Jano Harness Hangers, Feet, And Beater

Today I finished the harness hanger replacements on the Jano loom.  The original hangers are .125″ diametre.  But they were brittle with age and snapped off when I went to remove them from the harnesses, which I was refinishing.  They were badly rusted as well.  I used a very hard, galvanized fencing wire I have to manufacture new hangers.  it is .110″ diametre and looks like it will work very well…



I also finished making a new beater made out of maple.  It will darken into the traditional maple honey-colour with age…


And I added rubber feet to the legs.  The original casters were porcelain-like, broken, water damaged, and needed replacing.  I used soft rubber cups designed to be slid over smaller-diametre, cylindrical chair legs.  I turned these cups over, trimmed off much of the cup, lightly sanded them on a sander, drilled a hole, and screwed them onto the legs.  They are a very nice addition…