Tag Archives: linseed oil

Warping Board Reconditioned

A warping board came with the second loom that we purchased last spring.  It was a homemade board, and roughly made, which is really all that anyone needs.  I have the greatest admiration for people who make their own weaving equipment/tools on any level…

DSC00014

DSC00016

There was a problem…the pegs were loose.  I used it a couple of weeks ago for the first time.  The more warp I loaded the more the pegs bent toward the centre of the board.  This condition did not render it unusable, but it made for the warp to want to work its way off the pegs as I progressed.  I knew it had to be fixed; it was too good to throw away.  I began by removing finishing nails that held the pegs in place.  The nails were too small a diameter to do any real mechanical good, I’d have to replace them with larger diametre common nails on the rebuild, which while not as aesthetically pleasing, would actually exert a great deal more mechanical advantage.  I planed the disassembled frame itself.  Then I dadoed the ends to form an actual joint at the corners which would stop it from transforming from a rectangle into a parallelogram, and consequently of compromising the warp while it is in the process of being loaded.  I trimmed the original wood glue off of the pegs, mixed epoxy, coated the holes, set the pegs back into place, and used new 2″ common nails in new pilot holes to anchor the pegs.  Overnight the epoxy solidified nicely.  I also trimmed the bolts in the corners to a shorter length so that they would not interfere with loading any warp in the future.  I started treating it with boiled linseed oil, which dries to a hard finish; it brought out some of the beauty inherent in the wood on this board.  This frame will be hung on the wall in the Weaver’s Loft once it is ready to house weaving equipment.  I am really pleased with how this turned out…simple and beautiful.  Certainly an example of all that is needed to start to be successful in weaving.  I will build another warping board that is heftier and which will accept a larger warp this winter.

 DSC00006

DSC00008

DSC00009

Advertisements

Restoring Harnesses

Restoring three harnesses required twelve hours of work today; I was in no rush. The easy part was unhooking them from the rollers. The roller ropes were not original and need to be replaced.  All parts of the harness needed to be reworked…wood, screws, brackets, heddle bars, heddles…

DSC00087

Steel-wooling the frames allowed for application of aluminum paint…

DSC00090

Polishing hardware on a buffing wheel restored its lustre…

DSC00092

Each harness holds contained between 324 and 347 heddles.  I removed them from the heddle bars and steel wooled the bars and replaced the heddles all with the same orientation (the ends are different).  After refinishing the wood I reassembled the frames….

DSC00098

Grouping heddles in 10’s I was able to divide them into exactly half, placing each half on their own respective side of the centre heddle bar supports…

DSC00093

I have one more harness to finish tomorrow, then the rollers, and finally the reassembly of the loom and several more coats of boiled linseed oil.

This is tedious and methodical work, and I extremely enjoying doing it.  Not only is the restoration starting to look nice, I am also finding it a great way to fully understand the mechanics of the loom itself…

Restoring 45″ Mira Loom – Stripping Varnish, Sanding, Oiling

It is not my intention to restore this loom to like-new condition. It never was. It is my intention to remove the old, terribly worn varnish, to sand out some of the water stains on the wood, and to make this loom look nice, complete with character marks. I want to honour its past, while making it useful and beautiful for the future.  I use ‘Circa 1850 Furniture stripper and medium steel wool.  I then use two grits of sand paper, 120 and 220.  And then a liberal application of boiled linseed oil.  It looks very nice when it is done.

Loom Refinishing

Today I was told that there would not be a serial number on this loom by Leclerc…the photo that I sent to them told them that it was over 50 years old.  Varnish that old becomes brittle.  I am using furniture stripper on it, then lightly sanding, then applying a coat of boiled linseed oil.  Here’s the before and after.  I’m pretty happy with the outcome.  It will take time, but that’s okay up here.  And more coats of boiled linseed oil will be required, and will darken the wood both now and in years ahead to a lovely golden hue…

DSC00006
…original…
DSC00007
…stripped…
DSC00008
…oiled…
DSC00011
…before and after…